Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Check out your bike

Hi Tim here with some tips on checking out your bike before you go for a ride . The first thing I do is to grab both brake levers while standing next to the bike and see if I can feel both brakes working . If you hold the front brake lever and try to rock the bike back and forth , you can feel if the headset(the parts holding the fork in the frame) is loose or not . After those checks, grab the tire and see if it feels soft and needs air . While doing this ,wiggle the wheel side to side to make sure it is not loose on the bike . Spin the wheels -are they straight ? At this point I get on the bike and take it for a little ride to see if the gears are working ok . Now I have a general sense of how the bike is and if it will take me to where I want to go .
The three things I encourage people to do , are,1) wipe your bike down , keep it clean 2) keep the tire inflated to recommended pressure( written on side of tire) 3)keep some oil on the chain .
Always do this after you go for a ride so your bike is ready to go on your next ride .
enjoy the summer out there -see you on the road
Tim

No comments: